Friday, March 20, 2009

Beautiful Children Post 5

It was not until far into Bock's book Beautiful Children did I stop to consider the title. At first I thought immediatedly back to the possible themes on youth that I have already mentioned. Bock's title is in a way his opnion. At first thought I was confused of why Charles Bock would think that pregnant, drugged, poor, alcoholic, distressed children were beautiful. It was not long after this that I wondered if Bock's title was sarcasm. Depending on which way you see and understand the characters of the book (especially which characters you choose to look at) I think the title meaning could go either way.

After reading page and page after drugs, partying, and sex I began to also wonder if Bock perhaps was trying to include a message about relationships in his book. Perhaps Bock is trying to communicate the theme to readers that young love is incredibly rare and most adolescant love affairs or relationships are purely physical. I suspect this to be a theme based off of how much sex Bock does include in his writing. There is much more just fooling around in his novel than there are commited relationships. Bock writes "They want the prettiest white girl with the blondest hair and the biggest tits. They want to watch Catholic schoolgirl cheerleader prom queen Miss America get thirteen inches of wood put to her" (286). Not only does this support the idea that any sort of affair between boys and girls in adolescant stages are purely physical but also that there is mutually no effort even to find something deeper. This is an idea greatly looked down upon by many adults in my society today. It is considered inhumane and morally wrong. I have decided I very much enjoy Charles Bock's writing because of how blunt he will state the actions and events that he wishes to take place. Despite some of the intense vulgarity that was present strongly in this chapter, I thoroughly enjoyed the reading so far.

No comments: