Friday, March 20, 2009

Beautiful Children Post 6

I always knew that Edina was in a way a bubble. It had been explained to me before that there is very little racial variety here relative to other cities, and to ther states. Everyone in Edina more or less acts and dresses the same, especially if you compare us to Minneapolis or St. Paul where you would find a much greater variety of people. Like I said I knew areas outside of my little bubble were different, more out there, more wild. Reading Beautiful Children helped me understand just how much my home is different from the rest of Minnesota, how it is different from places such as Los Vegas. This book made me wonder how much an area really has an effect on someone. If I would have been born in Nevada, and grown up in this setting, would I too arise to become a person similiar to the character Daphney or Ponyboy?

My final thoughts on themes after reading and reflecting on this novel is that if one grows up and is surrounded in an environnement such as that in Beautiful Children, one will never go anywhere in life. The shattered youth in Los Vegas will always find themselves unfullilled and lonely, no matter how many times they have sex with others around them. Bock finsihes off his novel with Kenny asking "just what am I supposed to do now?" (407). No one answers him. Because of the lack of an answer, it can be inferred that Bock meant for us to understand that there is nothing for Kenny to do now, that he stuck forever in a paranoid sort of isolation. From this novel, especially the ending, I understand something very clearly. Thankfully I am in no danger of it happening to me, but I will always be aware of it's prescence in my mind. The children in Beautiful Children ended their lives tragically, pointlessly, leaving them emty behind them. Charles Bock blames modern technology, the wide availability of drugs and alcohol, and so many other vulgar factors found throughout his book. If our society can control these factors, an immeasurable number of lives will be saved from the waste that took over his characters.

6 comments:

Emily Fl. said...

I like how you described Edina. I definitely agree, pretty much everyone dresses the same, tries to look the same...etc. In Minneapolis there is definitely a bigger variety. I also like what you inferred from the author. I think that if all of those (alcohol, drugs) didn't exist, then there would be SO many less deaths. Good post!

Tony V said...

I agree with your description of Edina. I've always felt that I am lucky to grow up in such a pleasant place where it's really easy going and you don't have to worry about many things. Las Vegas seems to be the total opposite where you worry about everything.

Ngoc/Jimmy said...

That's an interesting way to relate to your story. Personally I believe that where you live raises the person that you will become. Being someone from California, living in Edina was a big change, from the environment, to the way people act, and to the environment in the school. The factor of alcohol and drugs also plays an important role in our environment because it seems to generate most of the problems we have today.

J. Warner said...

Really nice description of Edina! I often find Edina's society amusing, even comical. It is often a topic of discussion with my amigos from other cities and cultures. They often find Edina as amusing as you and I seem to and agree with your points about alcohol and drugs in modern society. Nice work!

Rosie Paulson said...

You make a great point about how so many times we are blind to how the world really is by what we have been surrounded with our whole lives. This book seems to educate those who haven't had to see hardships first hand (which would be very educational to at least reach the reader on a level that would teach them a lesson of how we are affected by are actions). The example you give is great because an unanswered question can go on being analyzed and pressed but without an answer, we cannot continue on and it seems this character has gotten him into a position with no outlet. Sad, but realistic.

Julian R.E. said...

What do you mean that you are in no danger of that happening to you? People make their own decisions and anyone can choose to go either way. And if you suggest that because of Edina's affluence there is any less drug use you would be completely wrong. Most of Minneapolis' suburbs have higher rates of frequent drug use than Minneapolis itself simply because more people can afford it.